(Updated 29 October 2018)
At The Splintering, I want everyone to just let your hair down and have fun. You can swear, you can talk shit to the writers on the site, pretty much anything within the limits of the law. Minors, particularly those under the age of thirteen years old, are discouraged from sticking around as the content posted will not always be appropriate for users of that age. I’d like to leave it at that, but below is a bit of legalese to clearly lay out definitions, and all that.
Thanks for reading and I value your feedback!
The Splintering Mastermind
These policies are not all-inclusive and will be updated if necessary.
It is the policy of The Splintering to disclose all conflicts of interest. In instances where this is overlooked, posts will be updated to reflect a conflict as soon as possible.
By using or visiting this website and all mobile associated websites and applications, you signify your assent to both the terms and conditions.
We do not knowingly collect, use or disclose personal information from children under the age of 13 without prior parental consent. By using our site, you represent that you are at least 13 years of age.
Sticks and Stones.
The Splintering takes a “Sticks and Stones” approach to comments. Simply put, comments that are either SPAM or illegal in nature or that encourage/promote criminal activity will be moderated and possibly removed, while pretty much everything else goes. Though discouraged, insults and foul language will be allowed in the comment sections except when limited by law. If you are personally unable/unwilling to accept a “sticks and stones” approach to comment threads, we highly recommend that you do not take part in them.
If you do choose to engage in public activities, you should be aware that any personal information you submit can be read, collected and used by other users of these areas. We are not responsible for the content of the comments you post or the personally identifiable information you choose to submit in the course of your public activities and we have no responsibility to publish, take down, remove or edit any of your public activities or submissions.
Please be mindful of the following policies regarding the content you post or submit.
Behavior that is 100% acceptable includes:
- Comments that tactfully show agreement or disagreement with points made in a post, or introduces on-topic information or opinions
- Rudimentary cursing (we’re all grown up and don’t give a shit, so we don’t expect you to give a shit either)
Discouraged behavior which risks being deleted includes but is not limited to:
- Wildly off-topic comments (to the original content or the current conversation)
- Comments not in English (If we can’t be sure of what it says and the text is questionable, we may step in to moderate)
- Is posted for your financial gain (advertising, sponsorship etc.) without disclosure. Context will matter.
Behavior that will almost certainly be deleted and will risk further action to include site bans:
- Violations of any applicable domestic or international laws or regulations, or encourages serious illegal activity (we’re talking about assault and murder here, not speeding cars or smoking weed);
- Clear, direct threats (i.e. “I know where you live,” “I am going to find you and when I do…” Note that language such as “Kill yourself” or “Take a long walk off a short pier”, while discouraged, will not be considered a clear, direct threat);
- Any behavior which exposes us or any of our affiliates, users or any other third party to any liability, damages, or detriment of any type;
- Puts children/minors at risk;
- Posting spam or conduct or forward surveys, contests, pyramid schemes or chain letters;
- Contains links to content that can’t be seen easily, or may be unsafe (viruses, spyware, paywalls etc.);
- Is criminally libelous (knowingly posting false information that is damaging to someone else’s reputation);
- Is in contempt of court (anything that could affect the outcome of a court case);
- Infringes anyone’s rights (including privacy rights) including doxxing/posting personal information (to include names, addresses, job/financial information, email addresses, or other personal information);
- Comments that infringe on copyright;
- Use any device, software, or routine to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the services or any activity conducted on the services or attempt to probe, scan, test the vulnerability of, or breach the security of any system, device or network;
- Attempts to obtain or attempt to gain unauthorized access to other computer systems, materials, information or any services available on or through the Services;
- Attempts to upload files that you know or have reason to believe may contain viruses, corrupted files, or any other similar software or program that may result in damage to the operation of our site or services, networks or servers or to another’s computer;
- Attempts to falsify or delete any author attributions, legal or other proper notices or proprietary designations or labels of the origin or source of software or other material contained in a file that is uploaded;
- Attempts to upload files that contain software or other material protected by intellectual property laws, rights of publicity or privacy, except if you own or control such rights or have received all necessary consents, permissions, licenses, approvals;
You own the copyright if whatever you post or upload is completely new and original. That usually means it doesn’t contain anyone else’s content, like videos and music. For anything that contains content made by someone else, the copyright may belong to them. So you’ll usually need to get their permission before posting it to our site.
However, regarding any content you post, we may:
- Moderate, review, edit, remove or decide not to display it. And, if it breaks any laws, we can refer it to the police and other authorities. We will cooperate with any legal investigations if asked to do so by proper authorities.
- Use, host or store it in our services and content;
- Copy, change or translate it, or make things inspired by it;
- Use it with our tools for making creations or remixing content;
- Put your creations on display to inspire other people;
- Invite others to use your creation to make their own creation;
- We won’t pay you for your content;
- We can’t guarantee to show you as the originator of your content;
- We do not guarantee to use your content;
- We may let other people use your creation. And sometimes we might let them edit it or make things inspired by it.
- We may use your content anywhere in the world, in any medium, and for as long as we want – even if you stop using our site or services.
- We might contact you to check you’ve got permission to use any music, images, clips or text in whatever you post.
When you upload something, you give up your moral rights to it. That means we can use it without identifying you as the creator. We can also edit or change it without your permission. And you won’t have the right to say we’ve treated it in a “derogatory” way.
Generally, you may visit the site without giving us any information about yourself. By using this site, you consent to our collection and use of personal information that you choose to provide to us.
We only intend to use your personal data to improve your experience on the site. We will keep your information confidential with the following exceptions:
- You ask us to or give us your permission;
- We may share your information without your permission if compelled to do so by law enforcement as part of an investigation.
In closing – Please don’t be a total dick or a total bitch and we’ll all be just fine.