“Axiom Verge 2” coming to Nintendo Switch in 2020
During Tuesday’s Nintendo Indie World showcase, independent video game creator Tom Happ announced that Axiom Verge 2 is coming to Nintendo Switch in 2020.
Below is the announcement trailer for Axiom Verge 2 followed by the official breakdown of the game:
Decades later… or is it centuries earlier?
You may have played Axiom Verge, or heard it referenced as a benchmark for indie “metroidvania” adventures. Axiom Verge 2 is part of the same story as Axiom Verge 1 but is a completely new game: new characters, new powers, new enemies, and a new world. You can play it before or after the original.
Meet Indra, the mysterious billionaire behind the worldwide Globe 3 conglomerate. What is this world she’s found? Who are the voices that seem to be calling to her?
Axiom Verge 2 is coming in late 2020 for Nintendo Switch. Stay tuned to learn about additional platforms!
Not Just Another World
Hiding in a cargo lift in Antarctica is what appears to be an ancient, alternate Earth, complete with mountains, lakes, deserts, and the ruins of a civilization. But you get the feeling that something else is lurking just past the fringes of reality, waiting to pull you in.
- Climb your way across a variety of terrains.
- Exploit enemies through hacking.
- Venture off with your remote drone.
Items and Enemies
You may think you already know the world of Axiom Verge. Think again.
- Urns – If you break open one of these you’ll gain new powers and abilities from the entities trapped inside. But at what cost?
- Compass – This lapis lazuli pendant sparkles with light. As you draw nearer to an urn, the light coalesces to point in its general direction.
- Drones – These mechanical foes attack you on sight. But like anything with a computer at its core, they can be hacked, each for varying effects.
- Save Shrines – Every time you stop at one of these, a tiny piece of you is left behind. This allows you to be reborn if you take too much damage to continue.
…And Something Else
You sense there is a bigger secret to this world. What could it be?
Despite being revealed during a Nintendo event, Axiom Verge 2 is planned for platforms other than the Switch, but specifically which platforms have not been confirmed. As Niche Gamer points out, the original Axiom Verge was released for PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Switch, and Xbox One, so if the Switch isn’t your system of choice, you will likely have other options.
Source: Niche Gamer
The Splintering has an email newsletter!
To sign up for our content sent directly to your inbox, go here!