Oi! Check Out Monika Stephan’s “Mary Boys: Beefheads!” on Indiegogo!
Over the weekend, independent comic book creator Monika Stephan launched a crowdfunding campaign for Mary Boys: Beefheads!, the 74-page follow-up to the first Mary Boys book that was successfully crowdfunded in 2019.
The project is already fully funded, having raised more than $6 thousand at the time of this writing.
The book itself follows the titular Mary Boys, a set of quadruplets from Basham who were “born with a rare genetic condition that causes enlarged hands and feet, distorted facial features and prevents sufferers from growing any body hair.” They also have an issue metabolizing alcohol, which gives them superhuman strength.
Here’s the official pitch taken from the official Beefheads! Indiegogo campaign page:
What’s all this then?
It’s another comic about those teenage lager-guzzling Knights Templar stomping a path of righteous salvation through their backwater English town, cleansing it of its many social evils to avoid an impending biblical apocalypse. Watch gangsters, pimps, football hooligans and other deserving low-lives and weirdos getting savagely trampled under size 16 Doc Martens in this new 74 page collection of self-contained Mary Boys stories drawn in a style influenced by the likes of Jack Davis, Will Eisner and Wally Wood and written with an uncompromising and utterly irreverent punk attitude that made the first two Mary Boys comics (available to buy on this campaign) such a huge hit with readers.
Hi, my name is Karl “CHUBB” Stephan and I write and draw comics. I’m known for my graphic novel Sparko (published by Slave Labor Graphics) and the Mary Boys: Primal Wounds comics (self-published after being successfully funded right here on Indiegogo and published under my own PROPER COMICS imprint).
This is a new project written and drawn by me. It contains 4 self-contained stories featuring the eponymous Mary Boys and their curator the Catholic priest, Father Michael Parrish.
You don’t need to have read the first campaign’s comics to enjoy these stories, but if you want those books they are available to order in the Add-Ons section of this campaign when you place your order.
The four stories featured in this volume:
1. The Liturgy – Every year Father Parrish and the Boys lead a procession to the river to keep a small flame of hope alive amongst Basham’s destitute by whatever means necessary.
2. ASBOCON – The Boys attend Basham’s first ever comic book convention, but find a distinct lack of true believers! Nuff Said!
3. A Special Day – It’s football season and Basham’s hooligans are prepared to pull every dirty trick in the book to help the home side win Sunday’s match, but they soon find that they aren’t the only ones planning shenanigans.
4. Dinky Jones is Dead – He was a member of one of Basham’s most notorious crime families. All the family want now is a nice Catholic burial. Shouldn’t be a problem, right?
Backers can get a copy of Mary Boys: Beefheads! for $19. If you have more cash to throw around, you can also pick up the following:
- Multiple copies of the book
- A variant cover
- A Beefheads! companion book
- 3 art prints
- Original artwork
- An embroidered LAGER! patch
It’s also worth noting that there is an additional shipping charge starting at $18 for those in the United States (shipping from across the pond, of course).
Interested? You can check out some sample artwork below or visit the full Mary Boys: Beefheads! Indiegogo campaign page here.
Thanks for reading!
Please consider following The Splintering on social media or bookmarking the site for more independent entertainment news, views, and commentary!