“Tempest 4000” Coming to Nintendo Switch, Atari VCS in March
Atari recently announced that Tempest 4000, the latest installment in the classic arcade shooter series Tempest, is scheduled to release on Atari VCS and Nintendo Switch on 22 March 2022.
Developed by Llamasoft and Tempest 2000 game designer Jeff Minter, Tempest 4000 is a unique, visually psychedelic shooter coupled with an intense techno soundtrack.
You can check out the latest trailer below, followed by the official breakdown of Tempest 4000 from Atari:
In Tempest 4000, players once again face screaming electric death as they take control of the Claw, a powerful spacecraft equipped to destroy deadly creatures and other obstructions with rapid-fire shots on vibrant geometric prisms. With three game modes to choose from and 100 levels to conquer, players must eliminate all enemies as quickly as possible to survive and achieve that coveted spot at the top of the leaderboards.
The original Tempest, one of the first video games to use 3D vector graphics, represents one of Atari’s hallmark titles and is considered one of the most popular arcade games of all time. It has been featured prominently across pop culture — including in Ernest Cline’s dystopian Ready Player One novel.
• A Blast from the Past: Take down hordes of enemies in this fast-paced, retro-arcade style shooter
• Pick a Mode, Any Mode: Pick from three different game modes including Classic, Pure and Survival that will push your skills to the limit
• Level Up: Progress and conquer 100 unique geometric levels by destroying enemies with various weapons and power-ups, and by earning upgrades through bonus rounds
• Scale the Leaderboards: Show off your high score in your quest to be recognized as number one
• Get Bass Boosted: Enjoy the beats of a thumping soundtrack inspired by early 1990’s techno
Tempest 4000 will be published by Atari and is scheduled to release on Atari VCS (*snick!*) and Nintendo Switch on 22 March 2022. It is currently available on Steam PC, PS4, and Xbone.
Thanks for reading!
Please consider following The Splintering on social media or bookmarking the site for more independent entertainment news, views, and commentary!