Open-World RPG “Unexplored 2” Coming Soon to PC
Publisher Big Sugar recently announced that procedural open-world RPG Unexplored 2: The Wayfarer’s Legacy is set to release on 27 May for PC (Steam, Epic & GOG), with Xbone and SeXbox releases planned for a later date.
Developed by Amsterdam-based Ludomotion, Unexplored 2 has been in Early Access for a year, but is now ready for a full 1.0 release.
Here’s the official breakdown of Unexplored 2 from Big Sugar:
Unexplored 2: The Wayfarer’s Legacy is a challenging, procedural open-world RPG with roguelite-gameplay, a table-top feel, and a cool twist on permadeath. Leave the Dungeon of Doom behind and venture into a vast, wondrous world as you embark on a heroic quest to destroy the mysterious Staff of Yendor.
Explore beautiful landscapes and discover hidden marvels. Encounter magical creatures and dangerous foes. Make brave choices and put your faith in good fortune. Featuring a unique legacy system, advanced procedural generation technology, and rich, generative storytelling, Unexplored 2: The Wayfarer’s Legacy is an adventure like no other.
The game offers players a beautiful but challenging, procedurally generated open-world which they can explore and adventure in. Each time they die, their world remains, but time will pass and events will change the lay of the land.
At the end of their quest, during the final stretch of their journey, players will go in all the way: they either succeed and save their world, or fail and see it destroyed, forever. Even their save game will be deleted.
However, after each run, failed or successful, Unexplored 2 generates an entire new world for the player to discover. A new world that may offer new biomes and different clans, puzzles, and enemies.
• Legacy system: the actions of past heroes impact the fortunes of those that follow in their footsteps. Use your legacy wisely to give successive adventurers greater hopes of completing their quest
• Permadeath in a persistent world: when a hero dies, they stay dead. But you can choose to return to the same world with a new adventurer, forearmed with knowledge of what lies ahead. Or, if you prefer, begin a new adventure in a completely uncharted world
• Generative storytelling: there is no premeditated script in Unexplored 2. Every adventurer’s ultimate goal may be the same – to destroy the Staff of Yendor – but every hero will have their own unique story of the events and encounters that happened along the way
• Procedural generation: Ludomotion’s proprietary technology generates content that feels designed by humans, not algorithms, and can create a near infinite number of new lands, new places, new stories, and new challenges to discover
• Orchestral adaptive soundtrack: an intricate system allows Unexplored 2’s music to be arranged reactively, making subtle changes to the score at appropriate times, whether a moment of high emotion, or to provide foreshadowing
Unexplored 2: The Wayfarer’s Legacy is coming to Steam, Epic, and GOG on 27 May, and there is a limited time 10% discount for early adopters.
Players on Steam can also get a “Digital Deluxe Edition” that comes with the game, artbook and official soundtrack. In addition, there is a demo version of Unexplored 2 is currently available on Steam as part of the ‘Going Rogue’ event (ends 9 May 10am PT).
Thanks for reading!
Please consider following The Splintering on social media or bookmarking the site for more independent entertainment news, views, and commentary!