“Jim Power: The Lost Dimension” Coming to Modern and Retro Consoles
QUByte and PIKO Interactive recently revealed that “cult classic” Jim Power: The Lost Dimension is coming to Nintendo Switch, PS4, and the Super Nintendo, SEGA Genesis, and original NES.
Originally released in 1993 under the title Jim Power: The Lost Dimension in 3D, the game is a sci-fi side-scroller with a unique parallax scrolling effect and a punishing level of difficulty. The developers promise that this new release will be “an experience that is true to the original spirit of the game,” which makes it sound like some things have been tweaked over the past few decades.
Here’s the official breakdown of Jim Power: The Lost Dimension:
The evil alien Vaprak is threatening to destroy the earth, which is the last planet that stands between it and the entry to the 5th dimension. If Vaprak succeeds, his species will flood the galaxy and all will be lost. It is up to Jim Power to infiltrate and slay the evil.
Originally released in the ‘90s Jim Power was hailed for its outstanding graphics and challenging gameplay. Now Jim is back and ready to do it all over again.
Jim Power: The Lost Dimension on Nintendo Switch and PS4 includes the NES version of the game which has been developed from scratch by PIKO Interactive, and on top of that the SEGA Genesis version, which was supposed to be released back in the ’90s, but was cancelled last minute. Now, fans of the retro shooter can enjoy the classic Genesis version on their modern home console for the first time!
The re-release of Jim Power: The Lost Dimension for PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch includes several features, that underline the spirit of the cult classic:
• Single player side-scrolling action
• Newly developed NES version
• First time officially released Genesis version
• Stellar pixel graphics and classic ‘90s gaming goodness
• Soundtrack by video game music legend Chris Huelsbeck
• Several unique stages
• Run & Gun, Jetpack and Shoot ‘em Up levels
• 16 Bit and an 8 Bit gameplay
• 4 screen filters and 3 screen types
Aside from the digital releases on PS4 and Nintendo Switch, there are also plans for multiple physical editions via the Strictly Limited Games website:
Limited Edition ($34.99/€29.99)
- Limited to 2,000 copies for Switch, and 1,000 for PS4
Special Limited Edition ($54.99/€49,99)
- Special Limited Edition Box
- Reversible Cover
- Original Soundtrack on 2 CDs
- Anaglyphic 3D Glasses
- Double-sided Artwork Poster (A3 / 42 x 29.7 cm)
- Jim Power Replica Flyer ( A5 / 21 x 14.8 cm)
- Lenticular Card (A6 / 14.8 x 10.5 cm)
- Colorful Game Manual
- Limited to 1,000 copies for Switch and 500 for PS4
The retro editions of the game will be available as follows:
- Cartridge compatible with SNES including the game based on the digital, enhanced re-release of the SNES version. Limited to 149 PAL and 222 NTSC versions.
- Cartridge compatible with NES with the newly developed version of Jim Power. Limited to 333 units.
- Cartridge compatible with SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive coming with the never officially released Genesis version of Jim Power. Limited to 333 units.
Each of these retro editions will be $54.99/€49,99, while a bundle of all three plus the soundtrack, an art card and a poster will be $154.99/€149.99 and limited to 33 PAL and 66 NTSC units.
Preorders for all physical editions of Jim Power: The Lost Dimension will go live via the Strictly Limited Games website on Sunday, 29 May, at 12 AM midnight CET (6 AM Eastern, US).
Thanks for reading!
Please consider following The Splintering on social media or bookmarking the site for more independent entertainment news, views, and commentary!